March 12, 2012

The Simple Life

It’s been a long time since I write. During the past couple of months, I’ve thought of a number of bullshit excuses to give but in the end decided to skip that whole thing, get right into it again as if I’ve been here the whole time. I cannot even begin to explain how liberating this decision was for me. As my dear friend Mischa will often sing to me without ever failing to put a smile on my face: Whatta feeeeeeeeling! Keep believing. Sure enough as a result, I find myself here, actually excited about writing again. If only I’d realized a little sooner it would be as easy as that. So now that the words seem to be flowing again, I can finally begin to tell you all about my latest little adventure.

I have always been a very curious soul and only just recently realized that the need to placate this insatiable curiosity has been, and will likely always be, one of the main driving forces behind most of the decisions I’ve made in life. It is a big part of the reason why I do the things I do. Whether as simple as trying a new sport, hobby, dish, meditation or philosophy course, or as life changing as moving halfway across the world or traveling to far off exotic lands. I’m also quite adventurous, which results in an interesting combination. One for which I am more often thankful than not. It makes life a hell of a lot more exciting, gives it meaning and keeps me moving towards what I like to think is forward. What the point of it all is, I’m not exactly sure. Who knows. Still trying to figure that part out, as many of us are. In the “meantime”, I’m going to make sure I experience life as fully as possibly, without consciously or intentionally harming anyone. It has been a good ride thus far and the future is looking bright on most days.

Although for the most part I’ve always been a relatively conscious human being, I only started to develop a serious interest in sustainability and self-sufficiency sometime about 5 or 6 years ago. Probably not too long after I finally began to realize that I am not, after all, the center of the universe and that my problems, as serious as they seem, are ridiculously insignificant when compared to those we face as humanity as a whole. A concept that will most likely never truly sink in. Funny enough, as soon as I started to become more interested in the world around me and to concern myself with the greater good, most of my own problems seem to have faded away.

I have no doubt my interest and concern is genuine, and that I’m not just following another celebrity trend because it’s the cool thing to do nowadays. I did begin to ask myself recently, how much did I really know about sustainable living. For a few years now, I have been trying to eat as organic as budget will allow (in part also because I care enormously about my health and well being), buy local and seasonal, and recycle at home. In general, I try to be as responsible a consumer as possible. I've also read a lot and have watched countless documentaries on the subject, so like many other “city people”, I seemed to understand very well the theory behind it all but certainly not the practicalities. For some reason, it just didn’t seem like enough. I wanted to do more.

I still felt an enormous disconnection to the land, which for some reason, increased about tenfold every time I found myself walking up and down the aisles of a supermarket. Considering that at least 8 out of 10 are filled with jars, bottles, cans, bags and boxes, with about half an aisle destined for fresh produce, a butcher and deli counter if lucky, I could not help but to ask myself when and where did it all go wrong. The answer must surely lie somewhere between the rise of industrial capitalism and the advent of the green revolution but I will save that topic for a future blog entry. I often found myself thinking about how different it must have been just a couple of generations ago and how on earth our grandparents have adapted, let alone conform. But I suppose no one is safe from the evil claws of modern-day consumerism and big corp marketing campaigns.

One day I had this crazy idea to fuck off to the middle of nowhere for a few months and try living what I like to refer to as the simple life. I was interested in learning about what it really takes to live a more sustainable and self-sufficient lifestyle, and especially keen on gaining some practical knowledge and experience out in the "real" real world. By that I mean actually get down and dirty. I thought it would be interesting to find out if I could renounce the comforts of modern living and whether this is something I would be able to do long term. The question was, would I be able to cope when push comes to shove? Very soon I realized there was only one way to find out.

On the other hand, I viewed this as an opportunity to take a nice little break from city life and the constant struggle, stress and distractions we have come to regard as normal. Who the hell said this was the only way? I was looking forward to dedicating more time to myself and doing all those things I’d always wanted to do but never really had the time to do because I was usually too busy running around. Perhaps a little writing, reading, quiet reflection or meditation, exercise no doubt, or simply exploring and enjoying the beauty Mother Nature has to offer. And who knows, with a little extra time and peace of mind, even attempt to get in touch with my inner voice, listen to what it’s been trying to tell me all these years, and then maybe one day I can start to figure it all out. Although I must admit, I have nearly reached the conclusion that there is nothing to figure out to begin with.

I became more and more excited with this idea and, as a wise man -or woman- once said, where there is a will there is a way. Two weeks after the decision was made, I arrived at an organic farm in Cornwall, by far the most beautiful part of England and one of the most stunning areas I’ve ever come across.

There are no words to describe how amazing this experience has been so far, and it seems to only get better as the days pass. I’m learning so much and on so many different levels, but most importantly, I am terribly enjoying myself. Every day is a new adventure. I can only compare this feeling to that of growing up as a child. It almost feels like I’m having a second childhood. To be honest, I don’t recall having been this happy in a really long time and for the first time ever, I feel like I’m exactly where I need to be.

Most of you will have seen some of the pictures I’ve posted on Facebook, and have maybe even left a comment or two on there, so you can’t really accuse me of being a complete stranger. The idea was always to share my experiences on here and that is exactly what I intend to do in the next few entries. If you haven’t done so already, make sure you like the fan page for my blog on Facebook so that you get the updates.

I’m really hoping that you enjoy reading about my little adventures as much as I’m enjoying the experience myself. Perhaps you might even be inspired one day to consider setting off on your own amazing little adventure. As an aspiring writer and a fellow human being, I could not ask for more. But until you are ready to do that, I will gladly and happily allow you to see and explore the world through the eyes of Little Miss Zaura. For whatever it’s worth.

It feels good to be back. I’ve said it before and I’ll say over and over again. Writing makes me happy.

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Gracias primo! :) Un abrazo

      Delete
    2. Babes this is amazing!!! felicidades you actually did it. I am enjoying your blog tremendously. I find this journey you have begun overwhelmingly brave and interesting . i wish you the best and hope to read new updates soon :). Cant wait to see you.

      Love,
      Mich

      Delete
    3. Gracias baby!! I'm glad that you're enjoying. Updates coming soon and see youuu very soon :) Te quiero <3

      Delete
  2. I am one tha enjoys the pictures and posts of your adventures... Would be nice to one day take off and do what you're doing, if only everyday life didn't get in the way... Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me really happy to hear that Dave :) A decision like this one is not an easy one to make. Difficult, yes.. not impossible though!

      Delete
    2. Just keep posting pics... That'll do for now. =)

      Delete
  3. Jajajaj my sweet darling, I feel so honored!! :)) And yes, u always crack up when I do that!!! jiiji
    I loved reading it from beginning to end, beacuse you are writing it straight from your soul, and from experience, an experience u chose to live for so many good reasons. I feel sooooo proud of you baby, so so proud.. This article is the first of many more to come in this "field" and I can´t wait to read them all and live through you all of it! Big huggggg jonishhh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tan lindaaa :) I know you feel me baby! More coming real soon. MIss you!!!!

      Delete
  4. Felt like one of those voiceovers you hear from Carrie in Sex and the City. Well done...just....a pinch of my philosofy: Life is about Balance, nor too much nor too little, nor too good nor too bad, and you can apply to just about anything we do. Like when you walk in a supermarket as you say: Hey 8 out of 10, well you know what....it's a start, remember when it used to be ALL? :-) I love you tons, and remember, as long as your happy; thats all that counts. PD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I'll take that my friend. Carrie rocks! :) Very wise words. I'm also a big advocate of finding that balance in all that we do. The Yin and Yang of life! Love you too! Un abrazo y nos vemos pronto.

      Delete
  5. This is Awesome... Love it Zaura, now I got to catch up with your other posts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Omar! I'm happy that you enjoyed it. You keep reading and I keep writing.. Deal? :)

      Delete